Welcome to Tumbleweed, where children ages 4-14 enjoy the wonders of nature in the beautiful Brentwood section of Los Angeles. Offering a variety of camp programs and educational opportunities, Tumbleweed has provided an enriching atmosphere that has fostered growth and development in children since 1954. From traditional day camp activities such as horseback riding, archery, and arts and crafts to our own unique Tumblewheel and 40’ inflatable obstacle course, your children will get the opportunity to gain self-confidence and build lasting relationships in a nurturing environment.
There are many choices for your child’s summer, and almost all of them talk about how “fun” and “safe” their programs are. A summer at Tumbleweed is fun and safe, too! But what makes the summer camp experience at Tumbleweed unique?
At Tumbleweed, we focus more on growth and learning than just on doing activities. We teach social intelligence, self-control, gratitude, grit, curiosity, optimism and zest. Being a part of a camp group, with lots of new faces, builds social intelligence, giving campers greater ability to find solutions in conflicts with others. Trying new activities grows curiosity, teaching kids how to ask questions and helping them be even more eager to explore new things. And these are just a few examples!
- Summer camp removes the typical pressures of school and sports, instead building a positive atmosphere that rewards effort and persistence. Just like at school, we celebrate kids when they succeed. The Tumbleweed difference, though, is that we celebrate the effort as much as the end result. Kids learn to be persistent and positive, making them stronger.
- Tumbleweed offers an unequaled variety of opportunities to develop well-rounded youth. At camp, we encourage “dabbling” rather than expertise. Throughout the day, our campers learn about, explore, and participate in the widest variety of activities, expanding their horizons and cultivating a desire to try new things.
- We focus on preparing children for future success. Companies like Google, Apple, and Disney have identified the skills they’re looking for in the 21st century: creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and communication. At Tumbleweed, our staff teaches these things at every activity. While your child is having fun, they’ll be gaining an advantage for life! (For more on this, check out the Partnership for 21st Century Skills.)
- Camp leads the way in using the best methods to help children learn and grow. Kids learn best by doing, and since 1954, Tumbleweed has helped our campers grow by involving them in high-interest activities, practicing new skills through hands-on discovery in small groups.
- Tumbleweed offers a positive and accepting community, battling isolation. In an increasingly isolated world, Tumbleweed can be a unique oasis of personal safety where everyone is included, differences are celebrated, and all have a chance to become their very best.
In addition to our camp programs, Tumbleweed has many other educational opportunities for children of all ages to flourish. We offer private swim and horseback riding lessons, a counselor-in-training program, outdoor education, and birthday parties.